Shostakovich’s mysterious opera about the hybrid of man and monkey returned to St. Petersburg after 83 years automatic translate
ST. PETERSBURG. The premiere of the unfinished opera «Orango» by Shostakovich was about a monkey-man.
The next anniversary of the October Revolution needed a grandiose work, its glorifying. Directorate of the Bolshoi Theater in 1932 approved the candidacy of Shostakovich, ignoring the difficult history of productions, held in the repertoire of the Leningrad opera houses is negligible. «Bolt» was held once, «Nose» - 16 times, «The Golden Age» was removed after a year. The creation of the libretto was entrusted to Alexei Tolstoy (the author of Peter I, Golden Key, Hyperboloid of Engineer Garin) and Alexander Starchakov (writer and literary critic, who was repressed and executed in 1937), since initially invited to this role Demian Bednyi was not managed to meet the deadlines.
The resulting work was to demonstrate the advantages of socialism, beneficially influencing the person living under such a system). The politically correct theme «The Son of the Partisan», proposed by the librettists, was rejected by Shostakovich. He was succeeded by a hybrid of a monkey and a man from Starchakov’s story «Victory of Albert Duran». The intellect of Orango, who was born as a result of a man’s fertilization by a monkey, allowed him to build a phenomenal career in the newspaper business. In his actions he is guided by hatred of communism, which after visiting the Country of Soviets becomes even stronger. In the final - the inevitable degradation of the hero. The piano, which included only the Prolog of 11 numbers, was lost.
Invaluable musical autograph accidentally caught the eye of a scientific employee of the archives of the Museum. Glinka Olga Diego. Among the 300 pages found by her, filled with Shostakovich’s hand, was the Orango clavier, calculated for about 40 minutes of sound. The opera was first performed in Los Angeles on December 2, 2011. The orchestration was made by Gerard McBurney (Gerard McBurney). A real breakthrough came in 2015. At the May Diaghilev festival with great success was presented theatrical performance of the Perm Opera. At the end of August, at the 120th «BBC BBC Proms» - a concert version performed by soloists of the Academy of Young Singers of the Mariinsky, accompanied by Esa-Pekka Salonen. In October, a similar event occurred in St. Petersburg (also performed by young soloists of the Mariinsky Theater). For the first time since the creation of the opera.
- Shostakovich and Prokofiev - one exhibition for two in the department of manuscripts of the National Library of Russia
- A decision was taken to create an electronic database of symphonic music of the XX - XXI century
- A book by the famous English writer Julian Barnes about Shostakovich was published. Will it be translated into Russian?
- A gift from the company ’Melody’ - all the symphonies of Dmitry Shostakovich in one set
- Memory of the millions tortured, knocking in our hearts
- Christmas and Shostakovich. Award for courage and perpetuation of the memory of an idol
- The ’nose’ of Shostakovich in Finland. Prohibited masterpiece of absurdity
- Mahler. Shostakovich. Last symphonies