Madonna di Foligno Raphael automatic translate
This work of the Urbino master precedes such a masterpiece of all times and peoples, like the Sistine Madonna in the Dresden Gallery of Old Masters, and largely predetermines his composition. The painting was commissioned by the papal historian and secretary of Sigismondo dei Conti for the Roman church of Santa Maria Araceli in 1511 in honor of getting rid of death when a meteorite fell into his house in Foligno. Documentary evidence of the fall of the meteorite in the house of Sijismondo is not, but there are versions about the lightning struck into it and the impact of the projectile at the siege of Foligno. Until 1565 the painting was in the altar of the Church of St. Mary in Rome, where the customer was buried, and after being transported to the Church of St. Anne Monastery in Foligno. In 1797, Madonna di Foligno was taken to Paris by the Napoleonic army, where she was kept for a while. After the fall of Napoleon returned to Rome, where in 1958, was restored.
In the left part of the picture, Saint John the Baptist and Francis of Assisi are depicted. In the right saint, Jerome with kneeling Sijismondo, looking full of gratitude at the Madonna and the baby. Mary with the infant Christ hovers in the clouds against the background of the golden disk, personifying Her heavenly glory (another name of the painting Madonna in Glory), surrounded by cherubs. Between these groups, in the center, is an unusually beautiful angel with a non-preserved memorable inscription on the tablet, reminding viewers that he will always be with us. Against the backdrop of all this, behind the angel lies the landscape with the town of Foligno, the work on which is attributed to the Ferrara master Giovanni di Lutheri, dubbed Dosso Dossi (o1486 Mantua - 1542 Ferrara). In some places, art historians saw the work of Raphael’s assistants in the workshop.
Workshop composition, subtle drawing, skillful and moderate use of color, and most importantly the exalted spirit of Madonna di Foligno has gained immense popularity in the art world, and today this altar picture becomes one of the best masterpieces of the Renaissance.
The painting was painted in 1511-12 with oil on a tree, in 1802 it was transferred to canvas, measuring 320x193 cm.
- Der Eintritt in das Pantheon in Rom wird bezahlt
- The painting, bought 100 years ago for $ 25, may turn out to be a Raphael script
- The long-awaited exhibition of the works of the great Raphael in the Pushkin Museum. Pushkin took the first visitors
- Raphael’s exhibition opened in the Pushkin Museum
- Exhibition of portraits of Pope Julius II at the Stadel Museum in Frankfurt
- The government of Great Britain imposed a three-month ban on the export of Raphael’s drawing
- The project ’Sounding canvases. Raphael ’Mozart. Requiem’
- Music of the great. Sounding canvases. Michelangelo-Da Vinci-Raphael