Exhibition "Dance" Automatic translate
с 1 Ноября
по 13 Декабря
Санкт-Петербургская государственная Театральная библиотека
ул. Зодчего Росси, д. 2
November 1 at the St. Petersburg State Theater Library (Zodchego Rossi St., 2) opens the exhibition "Dance", dedicated to the 200th anniversary of the birth of Marius Ivanovich Petipa.
Marius Ivanovich Petipa (Alfons Victor Marius) was born on March 11, 1818 in Marseille in the family of the French dancer and choreographer Jean Antoine Petipa and the dramatic actress Quiz Morel Grasso.
The name of Marius Petipa first appeared on the poster on November 18, 1828 in P. Gardel’s ballet “Dance”. At 16, Petipa receives his first engagement. He works in Nantes, Madrid, tours America.
In 1847, the director of the imperial theaters A. M. Gedeonov invited M. Petipa to take the place of the first dancer and pantomime performer. From this moment begins the long-term ministry of the artist on the Russian stage. Petipa arrives in Russia at the age of 29, lives and works “in the second Motherland” until the last day. A half-century page in the history of Russian classical ballet is associated with the name of the Frenchman Marius Petipa.
Marius Ivanovich Petipa was buried in the Alexander Nevsky Lavra (now the Necropolis of Artists).
The central part of the exposition dedicated to the 200th birthday of the choreographer is dolls made according to costumes for the two ballets of M. Petipa: “The Pharaoh’s Daughter” and “Sleeping Beauty” by students of the Russian Institute of Performing Arts (Department of Scenography and Theater Technology under the direction of T. V. Slezina). Sketches are stored in the collection of the St. Petersburg State Theater Library.
The choreographer created his first big ballet, “The Pharaoh’s Daughter”, to the music of C. Pugni in 1862. After the successful staging of this ballet, Marius Ivanovich is appointed choreographer of the imperial St. Petersburg theaters.
"Sleeping Beauty" is the pinnacle of the choreographer. The director of the Imperial Theaters I. A. Vsevolozhsky was the inspirer of the production. He also created libretto and costume designs. But his main merit was the unification in the work on the ballet of two brilliant contemporaries - composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and choreographer Marius Petipa. The premiere took place on January 3, 1890 at the Mariinsky Theater.
In addition, Marius Ivanovich’s memoirs with his autograph, sketches of costumes and scenery for ballets, books on the work of the choreographer, archival materials are presented at the exhibition. The theater library tried to maximally present a variety of materials about the master, which stores its funds.
The exhibition runs between 01.11. - December 13, 2018
in the library at: st. Architect Rossi, 2 (entrance from Ostrovsky Square).
Phone for inquiries: (812) 312-03-11.