Francis Bacon painting sold for a record price Automatic translate
LONDON. The painting by British artist Francis Bacon (1909-1992) “Portrait of a Talking George Dyer” was yesterday the most expensive work of the painter ever sold at auction. At auction in London, the painting was bought for 42.19 million pounds (69, 32 million US dollars).
The estimated cost of the work, which depicts Bacon’s lover, George Dyer, was 30 million pounds. Recall that three months ago at an auction in New York, Bacon’s triptych “Three Sketches for the Portrait of Lucian Freud” was sold for $ 127 million, thus becoming the most expensive piece of art ever auctioned off.
Francis Bacon was born into a military family; in childhood and early adolescence he could not receive a systematic education. The decision to paint came to him at the age of 18, after visiting the exhibition of works by Picasso. The first known work of the artist dates back to 1933, but soon after an unsuccessful exhibition, Bacon destroys most of his works. Later, he returned to painting, met with famous artists in London, made several trips in order to study the works of the greatest abstractionists and surrealists. So in 1952, Bacon goes to the south of France, to where it is located rehabilitation center in which he spent the last years of his life Vincent van Gogh. Here Bacon himself lives for some time and creates a series of unusual landscapes. Later, in his work, Bacon will still return to the works of Van Gogh, and to the works of Velazquez, whose work Bacon also loved.
Note that George Dyer, depicted in a painting sold at auction, was a constant hero in the artist’s work. Even after Dyer’s death, a large number of his portraits were painted.
Anna Sidorova © Gallerix.ru
- 5 pinturas de Francis Bacon robadas en Madrid
- Bacon Triptych sold at Sotheby’s for $ 21.5 million
- Programa educativo para la exposición "Francis Bacon, Lucien Freud y la London School"
- Exposición "Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud y la London School"
- Bacon Self-Portrait with Lucian Freud’s Body Exhibited at Christie’s
- Auctions in London intend to earn more than 1 billion US dollars
- The fourth international festival "Texture" has opened in Perm