The picture of Francis Bacon sold at a record price automatic translate
LONDON. Painting of the British artist Francis Bacon (1909-1992) «Portrait of the Speaker George Dyer» was yesterday the most expensive work of the painter ever sold at auctions. At auction in London, the picture was bought for 42.19 million pounds (69, 32 million US dollars).
The estimated cost of the work, which depicts Bacon’s lover, George Dyer, was 30 million pounds. Recall that three months ago at an auction in New York, Bacon’s triptych «Three sketches for a portrait of Lucien Freud» was sold for 127 million US dollars, thus becoming the most expensive piece of art ever sold at auction.
Francis Bacon was born into a military family, in his childhood and early youth he could not get a systematic education. The decision to paint came to him at the age of 18, after visiting the exhibition of works by Picasso. The first known work of the artist dates back to 1933, but soon after the unsuccessful exhibition, Bacon destroys most of his work. Later he returns to painting, acquainted with famous artists of London, makes several trips to study the work of the greatest abstractionists and surrealists. So in 1952, Bacon travels to the south of France, to where the rehabilitation center is located, in which he spent the last years of his life, Vincent Van Gogh. Here Bacon himself lives for a while and creates a series of extraordinary landscapes. Later in his work, Bacon will still return to the works of Van Gogh, and to the works of Velasquez, whose work Bacon also loved very much.
Note that George Dyer, depicted on the auction sold at the auction, was a constant hero in the artist’s work. Even after Dyer’s death, a large number of his portraits were written.
- 5 pictures of Francis Bacon stolen in Madrid
- Triptych Bacon sold at auction Sotheby’s for 21.5 million US dollars
- Educational program for the exhibition "Francis Bacon, Lucien Freud and the London School"
- Exhibition "Francis Bacon, Lucien Freud and the London School"
- Self-portrait of Bacon with the body of Lucien Freud exhibited at Christie’s
- Auctions in London intend to earn more than 1 billion US dollars
- In Perm, for the fourth time, the international festival ’Texture’ was opened