The National Museum of Stockholm acquired the masterpiece of Jan Leaven automatic translate
The National Museum of Stockholm (Nationalmuseum) enriched its already extensive collection of old masters of one of the best paintings by Jan Lievens «Painting of St Paul», dating from 1627-1629. Originally the painting was part of the collection of Sparre.
This is one of the most significant acquisitions of the Museum in Stockholm in recent years. Jan Livens (1607-1674) was born in Leiden, where he studied at the studio of Joris van Schuten from 1615 until his move to Amsterdam. In 1619-1621 Livens worked under the guidance of Peter Lastman. At the end of 1620-ies the artist already closely cooperates with Rembrandt. perhaps, therefore, the creative handwriting of both artists is incredibly similar. Their work is sometimes difficult to distinguish from each other.
In 1632 Livens goes to England, where he immediately receives several orders from the Royal Court of England. Later, the artist moved to Antwerp, where he joins the guild of St. Luke. From 1643 until his death in 1674, Livens lived and worked, mostly in Amsterdam, with the exception of occasional trips to The Hague and his homeland, Leiden.
The monumental painting «Image of St. Paul» is a typical work of Jan Livens during his collaboration with Rembrandt. The resemblance to Rembrandt’s painting of the same time (ie, about 1627-1629) can be viewed both from the point of view of the object and the composition, and in how the artist uses light. This picture is a typical example of painting of that time. The figure of the apostle is depicted slightly more than half, a powerful stream of light illuminates the scene on the left, a realistic image of the wrinkled face of St. Paul and his hands. Livens depicts the saint as a deep old man, who, in deep thought, continues to write in a large open book.
The picture dates from 1627-1629. The work initially came to Sweden through the famous collector Gustav Adolf Axelsson Sparre (1746-1794). His collection is believed to have been one of the best in the country in the 18th century, taking its place next to the collections of King Gustav III, Queen Ulrika and Count Carl Gustav Tessini. The National Museum of Stockholm managed to acquire a masterpiece thanks to a large donation from the Wiros Foundation. The painting will be in a permanent exhibition of Dutch and Flemish paintings of the seventeenth century on the second floor of the picture gallery.