Successful staging of Rimas Tuminas at the Bolshoi Theater automatic translate
MOSCOW. In the Bolshoi Theater premiere of «Katerina Izmaylova» was staged by Rimas Tuminas.
The proposal to put «Catherine Izmailov» in the Bolshoi became for Rimas Tuminas a test, with which he successfully coped. Concerns about the lack of experience in the opera theater were in vain. The successful, unanimous opinion, the production of Shostakovich’s opera, demonstrated a confident and delicate treatment of musical and dramatic material and correctly spaced accents. At some stage of the work, Tuminas envisaged the possibility of minor material cuts, but received a polite refusal from the widow of Dmitri Dmitrievich, who referred to the will of the composer, in which he warned against the inadmissibility of any amendments.
To stage the management of the theater, the second edition of the long-suffering opera was chosen. Shostakovich was forced to subject it to alteration after visiting the play by the father of the people and his approximate people. And it began. While the «Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk» (the original name of «Katerina Izmailova») triumphed in the best theaters in the world, in her native country she was subjected to severe criticism and prohibitions. In the article «Confusion Instead of Music», initiated by the Central Committee, the opera was ruthlessly epithetized: Meyerhold, cacophony, leftist confusion, borrowing an epileptic style of music from jazz. In the second edition, the changes concerned not only the musical part, but also the libretto. Only after this in the early 60’s the opera was allowed to return to the Soviet scene.
The muffled «physiological» component in this version allowed Tuminas more clearly to reveal the philosophical depth and multilayeredness of the work. The desire to break out of hopelessness leads to disaster. The theme of freedom, relevant to Russia at any time, aspiration for it and the inevitable collapse, has become a cross-cutting theme of the production of the Lithuanian director. The ruthless swamp keeps tenacious inhabitants and deals with strangers. Therefore, the choice of foreign performers for the roles of Katerina and Sergei is so appropriate. The German accent of the performer of the title role of Nadi Michael, her «unearthly» appearance cries out the alienness of Katerina, the inability of free nature to fit into the Procrustean bed of a stagnant patriarchal life. The sources of the cruelty of the heroes, according to Tuminas, are in heredity, in the foundations laid down by the ancestors and from time to time requiring new victims.
- For three days in Veliky Novgorod got acquainted with the work of the ’Bolshoi Puppet Theater’ from St. Petersburg
- For the first time in the Bolshoi Theater: Rodelinda Handel, Tuminas and Kulyabin
- Shostakovich’s mysterious opera about the hybrid of man and monkey returned to St. Petersburg after 83 years
- Sometimes they return or the new life of ’Eugene Onegin’. Understand, hear, accept
- Philosophy of Magic: The Nutcracker Ballet
- Unforgettable performances at the Bolshoi Theater
- En el Teatro. Vakhtangov fue galardonado con el premio ’Hombre del Teatro’
- The premiere of the play ’Oedipus King’ Rimas Tuminas will present in the Greek city of Epidaurus, at the Hellenistic Festival